Do you use Tumblr?
I’ve got an account, but to tell you the truth I’ve never really spent quality time inside Tumblr to find out if it’s a serious, not to mention – professional, blogging tool. One of my questions was whether or not we should be using a solid blogging platform like WordPress and use Tumblr as well. Is Tumblr for serious bloggers? So, this morning I did some research.
Here’s what I found out about Tumblr:
- Established in 2003, Tumblr is a micro-blogging platform.
- Has about 80 million blogs.
- It’s easy to use, but doesn’t contain all the bells and whistles we’re used to on WordPress – or even Blogger for that matter.
- We also call Twitter a micro-blogging plaform, but in Tumblr your posts can certainly be more than 140 characters.
- Most Tumblr posts, however, consists of single images, video, song, or small amounts of text
- Other bloggers can’t comment, but they can “love” or “reblog”.
- There is also a newsfeed-like set up on the home page where you can see other blogs.
- You can follow other blogs as you would follow someone on Twitter.
- Typical age group using Tumblr is under 25.
- If you want to import content from another blogging platform, you’re out of luck.
- If you want to export content from Tumblr, you’re out of luch as well.
- If you like to write full on blog posts, then Tumblr is probably not right for you.
Will Tumblr work for me?
With what I found out I think that for me personally, Tumblr is probably not a good fit. HOWEVER, having my content in more than one blogging platform is probably good for SEO. I’d probably have to re-think the way I write my content. And so would you if you enjoy writing meaty posts. For instance, this particular post would be too wordy for Tumblr. I also like the engagement you get on a traditional blog. It’s nice to get feedback and not just a “love” or “reblog”.
Is Tumblr for serious bloggers? Tough question. We’d have to define what a serious blogger is. Some bloggers, probably like you and me, blog for business – and we’re pretty serious about it, right? Some bloggers blog because they want to voice their thoughts and opinions, as well as share the opinions of others…and they consider themselves serious bloggers, but they are not doing it for financial gain.
What about you? Have you tried Tumblr? Do you like it – and why? Feel free to add your Tumblr URL here if you are using it. If you’ve not used Tumblr, have I peaked your curiosity enough for you to check it out? Leave me your thoughts.